Fan Fest

Even the best laid plans don’t always come to fruition. Today was the annual Fan Fest at Chase Field. This is a time when the Diamondbacks begin selling the single game tickets. The event allows fans to come down to the ballpark, purchase seats to individual games and soak in the ambiance of the stadium. Besides ticket sales there are also other activities such as trying your hand at play-by-play announcing; question and answer sessions with various members of the Diamondbacks staff; live music in the plaza, and autograph sessions. I’ve been looking forward to this event ever since I first caught word of it via the Diamondbacks web site. Normally it would take a congregation of wild Yankees fans to keep me away from this but today all it took was a middle aged nurse and a very large dosage of medication to stop me dead in my tracks.

Some time over the course of the past week I came down with what I thought was a cold. It progressively has gotten worse with each day until finally last night I felt lower than a Tampa Bay Devil Ray. Dr. Trina took it upon herself to take me to urgent care where I was diagnosed with bronchitis bordering on pneumonia. So while the dedicated Diamondbacks fans gathered at Chase Field in celebration of the opening of the 2007 season, I laid in bed at home dying. Not dying in the physical sense, just dying mentally. It is just about killing me to think that there is an event at Chase Field that I am not able to be a part of. I was looking forward to seeing if the turf had been laid, how the stadium had changed since I was there last month, which players would appear at the autograph sessions, what new Sedona Red team apparel was now available. I felt like a caged animal. I was pretty depressed to think I was going to miss this. Trina though could see my frustration and in a stroke of genius propped me up at the computer and went to where they were streaming the fan fest through a web cast. What an awesome idea! While I missed being a part of the festivities I could at least still be a part of it remotely. So for six hours I sat in the comfort of my leather recliner wearing my Diamondbacks pajamas and my Diamondbacks hat and I watched the fan fest unfold. Even feeling under the weather, this was a great day.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *